Office for the Participation of Women
Director: Ms Donella Johnston
GPO Box 368
Canberra ACT 2601
T: (02) 6201 9867
F: (02) 6247 6083
Bishops Commission for Church Ministry
Area(s) of Responsibility:
The Office for the Participation of Women (OPW) is to:
- Undertake projects as determined by the Bishops Commission for Church Ministry (BCCM) in implementing the recommendations of the Bishops’ Social Justice Statement on the participation of women in the Church.
- Act as a focal point for ongoing dialogue and the integration of ideas pertaining to women and their participation in the Catholic Church in Australia.
Appointment of Director:
The Australian Catholic Bishops Conference will appoint the Director on recommendation of the Bishops Commission for Church Ministry and in consultation with the Council for Australian Catholic Women. All such appointments will be made in accordance with the policies and procedures of the ACBC.
- The Chairman of the BCCM will appoint a Projects Officer to support the work of the Offices for Clergy Life and Ministry and the Participation of Women.
- The Director will appoint a Coordinator for the Young Catholic Women’s Interfaith Fellowship to be responsible for the planning and delivery of the fellowship.
- Administration, accounts and payroll will be provided by the General Secretariat.
Accountability to the Chairman of the Commission (or delegate):
The Bishops Delegate for the Participation of Women oversees the work of the OPW in accordance with the Mandate of the Bishops Commission for Church Ministry.
The Director of the OPW will make all decisions about the day to day operations of the OPW within established policies and procedures. The Director is accountable to the Bishops’ Delegate for the Participation of Women for the work of the OPW and will consult with the Bishops’ Delegate for the Participation of Women before making decisions that may affect the functions or structure of the OPW.