Mass Settings for the New English Texts of the Roman Missal
On 30th September, 2010, the Roman Missal implementation strategy was launched by Archbishop Philip Wilson (President of the ACBC) and Archbishop Denis Hart in Melbourne. The launch included the DVD resource “Become One Body, One Spirit in Christ”, and the announcement of the Recommended Mass Settings chosen by the National Liturgical Council.
The announcement of the selected Mass settings, follows a review of over 50 new mass settings which were submitted in response to the invitation of the National Liturgical Council to compose settings which could be used in the Catholic Church in Australia. Each of the mass settings was evaluated by a panel of 3 external music reviewers, the members of the National Liturgical Music Board, as well as the members of the National Liturgical Council.
It is the hope of the NLC, that these new mass settings, composed by Australian composers, will be enthusiastically received by local musicians, and adopted by parishes throughout Australia. The choice of Mass settings for parish use is not restricted to the recommended list, but the inclusion of at least one or more of the following settings will assist the establishment a common national repertoire.
RECOMMENDED MASS SETTINGS
A. The Revised ICEL Chant Mass as contained in the Missal - (also available from the ICEL website at www.icelweb.org/news.htm)
- An assembly edition has been prepared by the NLMB - Download here
- Keyboard accompaniments for the Gloria and Memorial Acclamations have been prepared and are available here ("Gloria accompaniment") - Memorial Acclamations accompaniment.
N.B. A complete edition of accompaniments to the new Chant Ordinary will be published soon. Details will be announced when available.
B. Recommended Masses by Australian Composers
- Mass of St Francis (Paul Taylor – available from Willow Publishing website in print and recording formats (one for Cantor and Organ, the second for Organ only).
- Mass of Our Lady, Help of Christians (Richard Connolly – Publisher: CanticaNova)
- Missa Magis (Christopher Willcock – Publisher: Oregon Catholic Press)
- Mass of Christ the Redeemer (Bernard Kirkpatrick – Publisher: Oregon Catholic Press) This Mass can be downloaded from the Office of Evangelisation
- Mass of Glory and Praise (Paul Mason – Publisher: Willow Connection, Orders can be placed through www.liturgicalsong.com)
- Mass Shalom (C.Smith arr. Mason – Publisher: Willow Connection, Orders can be placed through www.liturgicalsong.com)
Mass Settings of New Texts to be allowed from January 1, 2011.
In order to assist the transition from the existing mass texts to the new translations, the Australian Catholic Bishops’ Conference has given permission, through the National Liturgical Council, to allow the new musical settings of the new English texts to be used in liturgical worship commencing January 2011. This permission extends only to musical settings. Where the texts of the Missal are recited, these will remain the current translation until the official implementation date for the new missal starting in Advent 2011.
Read Reviews about the New Australian Mass settings in “Rite Notes”
This link is provided courtesy of Cathy Murrowood from the Archdiocese of Hobart, who interviews the composers of the Australian settings, and gives an overview of each of the settings. [Download PDF]