"On behalf of the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference, we are exploring the pastoral, cultural, social and personal dimensions of the Catholic Church in these changing times."
Director: Dr Trudy Dantis
GPO Box 368
Canberra ACT 2601
Office Contact Details
T: (02) 6201 9812
The National Centre for Pastoral Research is responsible for:
- Coordinating Catholic participation in the National Church Life Surveys (2001, 2006, 2011 and 2016).
- Carrying out the National Catholic Census Project (1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 and 2016), including the dissemination of results to parishes and dioceses.
- Carrying out and reporting the results of the National Count of Attendance (2001, 2006, 2011 and 2016).
- Providing assistance to dioceses, Catholic Education Offices and other Catholic agencies in the understanding and use of NCLS and Census data.
- Providing research and pastoral planning consultancy services to dioceses and Catholic agencies.
The office also undertakes additional projects exploring the pastoral, cultural, social and personal dimensions of the Catholic Church. At present, these additional projects include:
- Journey to Plenary Council 2020 (ongoing)
- Survey of Religious Congregations in Australia 2018 (ongoing)
- Australian Catholic Bishops' Youth Survey 2017
- Understanding Religious Vocation in Australia Today (2014 - 2018)
- Our Work Matters: Catholic Church employers and employees in Australia (2015 - 2017)
- 'Building Stronger Parishes' (2009 - 2015)
- What do Mass attenders believe? (2014)
- What Makes People Feel They belong? (2011)
- See, I am Doing a New Thing! - A Survey of Catholic Religious Institutes (2009)
- Australian Catholic Mapping Online (currently in operation)
- 'Catholics Who Have Ceased Attending Mass' (2007)