Director: Mr Shane Dwyer
GPO Box 368
Canberra ACT 2601
T: 1300 4 FAITH (1300 432 484)
F: (02) 6247 6083
Bishops Commission for Evangelisation
"For the Church, evangelising means bringing the Good News into all the strata of humanity, and through its influence transforming humanity from within and making it new: "Now I am making the whole of creation new." [Rev. 21:5; cf. 2 Cor 5:17; Gal 6:15.] But there is no new humanity if there are not first of all new persons renewed by Baptism [cf Rom 6:4] and by lives lived according to the Gospel.[Cf. Eph 4:24-25; Col 3:9-10.] The purpose of evangelisation is therefore precisely this interior change, and if it had to be expressed in one sentence the best way of stating it would be to say that the Church evangelises when she seeks to convert, [Cf. Rom 1:16; 1 Cor 1:18, 2:4.] solely through the divine power of the message she proclaims, both the personal and collective consciences of people, the activities in which they engage, and the lives and concrete milieu which are theirs."
(Pope Paul VI, Evangelii Nuntiandi, n18)
The National Centre for Evangelisation (NCE) is responsible for:
- Ensuring the efficient operations and ongoing viability of the Catholic Enquiry Centre as an agency of the ACBC in its own right, especially in its outreach to those enquiring about the Catholic faith.
- Assisting and supporting the Bishops in their work of promoting and developing works of evangelisation, taking into account the needs of the great diversity of cultures and environments across Australia, with special attention given to Catholics who are not connected with the life of the Church.
- Raising the profile of evangelisation throughout the Church in Australia.
- Acting as a national base for disseminating information about successful outreach initiatives.
- Making connections across Catholic organisations, including with diocesan-based agencies for the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults for those wanting to formalise their relationship with the Catholic Church.
- Assisting dioceses to have access to sufficient resources and opportunities for training to allow effective evangelisation, including providing encouragement to seek new ways to preach the gospel.
- Promoting the sharing of the Good News in families, workplaces, parishes and schools and through the media.