Chair: Mrs Lyn Horner
GPO Box 368
Canberra ACT 2601
T: (02) 6201 9864
F: (02) 6247 6083
Bishop Peter W Ingham
Bishops Commission for Church Ministry
Bishops Commission for Pastoral Life
The CACW exists at the “national level to ensure that the dignity of women is honoured and their gifts are given space to flourish for the sake of the Church’s life and mission” (ACBC Social Justice Statement 2000)
Area(s) of Responsibility:
- To provide advice to the Bishops Commission for Church Ministry (BCCM) about women and their participation in the Catholic Church in Australia.
- To provide advice on the inclusion of women and their participation in the Catholic Church in Australia.
- To provide advice on the development of strategic planning concerning the decisions and proposals from the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference (ACBC) in response to the report, Woman and Man: One in Christ Jesus.
- To recommend the development, selection and dissemination of examples of best practice related to the promotion of the participation of women in the life of the Church.
- To recommend the development of projects and resources for dissemination to parishes, schools and organisations, locally and internationally to further the participation of women in the life of the Church.
Number of Members:
The council shall be composed of women and men, clergy, religious and lay “taking into account the geographical and cultural diversity of Australia” (SJ Statement 2000) and numbering (9) members including the chairperson.
Appointment of Members:
Members of the Council will be appointed by the Bishops Commission for Church Ministry which then advises the ACBC. Members are appointees of the bishops for a three year term with the option of a second term. A third term may be granted in exceptional circumstances.
Appointment of Chairperson:
The Bishops Commission for Church Ministry will appoint a chairperson on recommendation of the Council.
Frequency and Place of Meetings:
The Council shall meet at least three times each year at a time and place that the members determine.
Executive support will be provided by the Officer for the Participation of Women.
The Council for Australian Catholic Women (CACW) and the Office for the Participation of Women (OPW) will work collegially and collaboratively to achieve the objectives set by the Bishops Commission for Church Ministry (BCCM). The OPW will action the recommendations of the CACW.
This mandate expires after 5 years and is subject for review and approval by the ACBC on recommendation by the Council for Australian Catholic Women.