Recommended Mass Settings for the New English Texts of the Roman Missal
On 30th September, 2010, the Roman Missal implementation strategy was launched by Archbishop Archbishop Philip Wilson (President of the ACBC) and Archbishop Denis Hart in Melbourne. The launch included the DVD resource “Become One Body, One Spirit in Christ”, and the anouncement of the Recommended Mass Settings chosen by the National Liturgical Council.
The anouncement of the selected Mass settings, follows a review of over 50 new mass settings which were submitted in response to the invitation of the National Liturgical Council to compose settings which could be used in the Catholic Church in Australia. Each of the mass settings was evaluated by a panel of 3 external music reviewers, the members of the National Liturgical Music Board, as well as the members of the National Liturgical Council.
It is the hope of the NLC, that these new mass settings, composed by Australian composers, will be enthusiastically received by local musicians, and adopted by parishes throughout Australia. The choice of Mass settings for parish use is not restricted to the recommended list, but the inclusion of at least one or more of the following settings will assist the establishment a common national repertoire.
Recommended Mass Settings:
- The Revised ICEL Chant Mass as contained in the Missal - (also available from the ICEL website at http://www.icelweb.org/news.htm)
- An assembly edition has been prepared by the NLMB - Download here
- Keyboard accompaniments for the new chant settings of the Mass are now available for purchase from http://www.stpauls.com.au/product/5055
- N.B. The musical setting of the Lord's Prayer for the Catholic Church in Australia will continue to be the customary version adapted by Rev. Dr.
Percy Jones, used prior to the new ICEL adapation. An accompaniment of the Australian setting is available for download here.
Recommended Masses by Australian Composers
- Mass of St Francis (Paul Taylor – Archbishop's Office for Evangelisation;
Orders: Central Catholic Bookshop, Melbourne)
- Mass of Our Lady, Help of Christians (Richard Connolly – Publisher: CanticaNova. Distributed by Willow Connection.)
- Missa Magis (Christopher Willcock – Publisher: Oregon Catholic Press)
- Mass of Christ the Redeemer (Bernard Kirkpatrick – Publisher: Oregon Catholic Press)
- Mass of Glory and Praise (Paul Mason – Publisher: Willow Publishing, Orders can be placed at www.asonevoice.com.au or through www.liturgicalsong.com)
- Mass Shalom (C.Smith arr. Mason – Publisher: Willow Publishing, Orders can be placed at www.asonevoice.com.au or through www.liturgicalsong.com)
Mass Settings of New Texts to be allowed from January 1, 2011.
In order to assist the transition from the existing mass texts to the new translations, the Australian Catholic Bishops’ Conference has given permission, through the National Liturgical Council, to allow the new musical settings of the new English texts to be used in liturgical worship commencing January 2011. This permission extends only to musical settings. Where the texts of the Missal are recited, these will remain the current translation until the official implementation date for the new missal starting in Advent 2011.
Read Reviews about the New Australian Mass settings in “Rite Notes”
This link is provided courtesy of Cathy Murrowood from the Archdiocese of Hobart, who interviews the composers of the Australian settings, and gives an overview of each of the settings.